Friday, June 15, 2007

Lilly of the Valley-Perennial



These plants stay short in growth and like morning sun to full shade. The small white bells that form have a small fragrance. They multiply quickly and are very hardy. They will sprout up in between any thickness of plants. They do well in flower pots, around tree bases, and even under deck steps. They are a nice filler for a front garden. You can buy the plants themselves at any garden center. I have never seen a seed form. My MIL gave me a few plants for my garden, more then 20 yrs. ago. When we would move, I would dig a few up and take them with me. Over the years, they have spread nicely. I still have them growing in my front garden.

Good: comes back on its own, flower has fragrance, spreads fast, stays short in growth, nice garden filler, makes nice vase clippings

Bad: can get lost in a huge garden, roots need to remain in garden, doesnt grow from seed, can not take full sun

Season: early June - Mid August