Thursday, June 14, 2007

Pink Mullein-Perennial







This plant has foliage that feels like velvet. Flower stalks grow from the base and are then. Several blooms open from different spots on the stalk. The flowers are purplish pink and seem to last for quite a while. This flower base grows almost on the soil surface. It spreads very quickly thru seeds -which I have not ever been able to find. (I simply seperate and replant) They transplant very well. I found these plants at a swamp near where we live. I assume some years ago, a house was built there. I took some plants and brought them home because the flowers were soo pretty. In one year, they multiplied at least 8 times the amount I had. Now its been 3 years and I have soo many I put tons of them lining my fence out back. I found out what these plants were off the internet.

Good: comes back by itself, speads quickly thru seeds, transplants well, fills in space when needed, grows tall specific to spot planted, disease resistant

Bad: grows quickly so it needs to be thinned out, isnt a thick garden filler, no fragrance

Season: mid May - late August