Thursday, June 14, 2007

Four O'Clocks-Annual



These plants are not sold at garden centers. You must buy the seeds. I found mine on Ebay but neighors have told me they have seen seed packets at Walmart. I have not. Soak them in warm water a day ahead of time before planting. I dont know why but I have more success when I do that, then when I dont. They look best in the very back of a front yard garden or in a back yard garden. Each plants needs room to spead wide. The flowers open during the day and close at night. Hummingbirds love this plant. I got my first seeds from my MIL who had a varigated plant with yellow and pink striped leaves. Each year she would give me seeds but my plants were either plain yellow or pink. I have yet to get a varigated flower. I am still trying. My favorite at the yellow buds.

Good: comes back on its own, produces tons of seeds, flowers come in a huge variety of colors, fast growing, flowers open and close and last a good while, easy removal at season end

Bad: can overrun a garden if not thinned out, only sold by seed, hard to find at garden stores, will get leggy by late August so staking might be needed, does not transplant well, no fragrance

Season: blooms mid July - early October